Permits in Other Places

Photo courtesy of Bureau of Land Management via Flickr -

Bureau of Land Management & U.S. Forest Service The BLM Field Office will issue “minimum impact” permits for production purposes. Permits may be issued at the BLM Field Office after it has been determined that the filming activity will have a minimum impact on public land. A reasonable amount of time is needed to process the permit; the rule of thumb is two weeks.

Albuquerque BLM Field Office (505) 761-8700, fax (505) 761-8911. The local Forest Ranger District Office grants permits. The permit process includes completing an application, obtaining standard liability insurance coverage and providing a summary of the shoot. A two-week review period is requested. Forest fire restrictions may apply. U.S. Forest Service

  • Cibola National Forest: (505) 346-3900

  • Magdalena Ranger District: (505) 854-2281

  • Mountainair Ranger District: (505) 847-2990

  • Sandia Ranger District: (505) 281-3304

  • Mt. Taylor Ranger District: (505) 287-8833

National Parks

Each individual Park Superintendent issues National Park Service Permits. A two-week application-reviewing period is requested. The application process entails a $100 non-refundable application fee, a possible performance bond (depending on the extent of the shoot) and a minimum $100 per day location fee. Other costs may include Park Rangers fees to monitor production.

  • Petroglyph National Monument (505) 899-0205, fax (505) 899-0207

  • Salinas Pueblos Missions (505) 847-2585 ext. 21, fax (505) 847-2441

State Parks

All State Parks require a Special Use Permit and at least a two-week notice. The minimum cost for a Special Use Permit is $15 and increases depending on the scope and needs of the project. Permits can be issued by the Park Superintendent but may be referred to the State office, depending on the scope of the project.

  • Coronado Campground Bernalillo: (505) 980-8256

  • Rio Grande Nature Center Albuquerque: (505) 344-7240

  • Manzano Mountains State Park Mountainair: (505) 847-2820

State Monuments

The intent of the permit system for State Monuments is to ensure that the historic and natural features are protected and visitor use is unimpeded. A Special Use Permit and a thirty-day notice (preferred) are required for any filming intended for public viewing or commercial advertising. The administrative non-refundable fee is $50. Still photography is $100 per day and film and video is $250 per day.

Coronado State Monument Bernalillo: (505) 867-5351

All Posts